- Consisted of 22 Sessions with 138 Speakers, 886Delegates participated.
- 70 Poster Presenters presented their Research Ideas in Poster Session – Walkway of Discovery.
- About 100 Exhibitors from various verticals of Life Sciences Industry like biopharmaceuticals, bio- suppliers,bio-informatics,bio-medicaldevicesparticipated in the Exhibitionand attracted over 3000+plus businessvisitors.
- Thegatheringwas attended by delegates frommore than 15+ countries including Scotland, USA (Georgia),Canada(Alberta) &Australia (Victoria) andGermany,UAE, France,UK, Korea, Mexico,Singapore, Poland andEuropeanandSouthEast Asia countries.
- Bangalore INDIA BIO 2015 facilitated over 200 B2B meetingsthroughthe Bio Partnering tool– InterlinX
Bangalore, Feb 12, 2015 : Bangalore INDIA BIO 2015, India’s most sought after and premier Biotech Forum concluded on a upbeat note with progressive outcomes for the Biotech Fraternity.Thethree day conference broughttogethergloballeadersfromtheLife Sciences, Biotechnology and AgriBiotech sectors foracomprehensive overview of this rapidly changing industryenvisaging India as a 100 Billion US Dollar BiotechHub. The event is jointly organized by the Department of Information Technology, Biotechnology and Science & Technology, Government of Karnataka, Vision Group on Biotechnology, MM Activ Sci-Tech Communications.
The star studded Crystal Edition was graced by several dignitaries including, Shri Siddaramaiah, Hon’ble Chief Minister, State of Karnataka;Shri Prakash Javadekar, Hon’ble Minister of State, Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India&Shri Piyush Goyal, Hon’ble Minister of State for Power, Coal and New & Renewable Energy, Government of India;Shri S.R. Patil, Hon’ble Minister for IT, BT and S&T and Planning & Statistics, Government of Karnataka; Shri Dominic Jermey, Chief Executive, UK Trade & Investment;Dr. Sanjaya Rajaram, World Food Prize Laureate 2014; Prof K. VijayRaghavan, Secretary, Department of Biotechnology and (Additional Charge), Department of Science and Technology, Government of India; Dr. Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Chairperson, Karnataka Vision Group on Biotechnology; Chairman and Managing Director, Biocon Limited.
Says, Mr.Srivatsa Krishna, Secretary to Government, Department of IT, BT and S&T and DPAR (e-Governance) Government of Karnataka, “Bangalore INDIA BIOis not only a forum for the best minds in the industry tocome together for creating a sustainable future in Biotechnology, Life Science & Agri Biotech, but a dais for several start-ups, emerging business and student enabling access to the industry stalwarts. 15 years of Bangalore INDIA BIO has seen several opportunities being created and sustainable collaborations being sealed. We are committed to the cause of creating ‘Biotech for better tomorrow’ andplan to take the events to newer heights in the coming years.”
Dr. Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw – Chairperson, Karnataka Vision Group on Biotechnology; Chairman & Managing Director, Biocon Limited, said, “Bangalore INDIA BIO isa unique interactive platform for business and science. Over the years, Bangalore has emerged as a hub of biotech and has shown huge promises for the start-ups as well. The industry needs to focus on innovation to accelerate growth, which is being well supported by the growing number of start-ups.Karnataka State Government has been the aegis for this sector fostering a steady growth-rate.”
Shri Prakash Javadekar, Hon’ble Minister of State, Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India, “ We should foster a sense of ‘Co-operated Competition’ amongst key players in the industryto ensure an accelerated growth for the sector. The importance of generating green and renewable energy is paramount and Biotech has a very important role to play regarding the same.”
Echoing the voice of the Prime Minister of India, Shri Piyush Goyal, Hon’ble Minister of State for Power, Coal and New & Renewable Energy, Government of India, said, “The mantra of ‘Speak-Skill-Scale’ should be replicated in the industry. We should also focus on the necessity of adopting Energy Efficiency Measures and developing Preventive Healthcare. Biotech & Life Sciences have a crucial role to play regarding the same. ”
Speaking at the event Dr. K. VijayRaghavan– Secretary,DepartmentofBiotechnology, MinistryofScience&Technology,GovernmentofIndia,said, “Bangalore has been instrumental in providing a conducive environment for start-ups. Though we have challenges regarding investor’s reluctance and regulatory Government policies we are seeing positive growth.”
Sharing his wealth of knowledge at the inauguration session,Dr. Sanjay Rajaram, World Food Prize Laureate 2014, said “We have to use resource efficiently. Conservation agriculture including organic farming may reduce the use of water and chemicals and replacing the inefficient irrigation system with more precise methods like subsurface drip irrigation has to be the priority.”
- Top Guns Talk- Keynote Lecture Session- much emphasis was laid on the next green revolution that the Agri-bio sector is capable of ushering in. Dr. Rajaram, Director, Resources Seeds International, spoke of the importance of adopting new technology in agriculture that would help augment the productivity & profitability
- Going Beyond Start-Ups with Effective Scaling Strategies panel discussion saw an attendance from Theramyt Novobiologics, Achira Labs, GridOctane, Perfint Healthcare Pvt Ltd, Navya Biotechnology and Green Powersystem. The panel shared their scaling strategies that has led to positive growth along with the regulatory reforms that they seek
- The Commercialization of Stem Cells: Promises & Public Concerns saw participation from Mohan C Vemuri, Dr. Christian Van Den Bos, Dr. Sanjay Desai and Geeta Jotwani. The highly esteemed panel deliberated on the current research, roadblocks, success stories & regulatory system for stem cell therapy research in India & abroad
- The Rare Disease and Orphan Drugs Development, Through Establishing The Orphan Drugs Act, session saw participation from a highly balanced panel consisting of doctors, NGOs and corporate sector. The session brought home the immensely important thought that ‘diseases might be rare, but the treatment cannot be…”
- US- India Vaccine Research & Collaboration Creating New Pathways saw Emory Vaccine Centre, Atlanta & ICGEB, India come together to discuss the nuances of vaccination and preventive measures for common infectious diseases
Theprestigious Bio-Excellence Awards were presented as follows:
- Bio Excellence Award for Bio Pharma & Healthcare was awarded to Serum Institute of India
- Bio Excellence Awards for BioAgri went to Kaveri Seeds
- Bio Excellence Awards for BioServices was conferred to Syngene
- Bio Excellence Awards for BioIndustrial was handed over to Novozymes South Asia Pvt. Ltd.
- Bio Excellence Awards for BioInformatics &Systems Biology Strand Life Sciences Pvt. Ltd.
Emerging Company of the Year Awards was given to:
- BUGWORKS Research India Pvt. Ltd
- Semler Research Center Pvt. Ltd.
- IMGENEX India Pvt. Ltd.
- InterpretOmics India Pvt. Ltd.
Best Poster Awards were won by
- Vijay Kumar H.S. BTFS – Maharani Lakshmi Ammanni College for Women
- Naini Bhadri, Al Ameen College of Pharmacy
- Ananya Ganguly, BTFS – Padmashree Institute of Management and Sciences
- N. Nishanthini, BTFS – St. Aloysious College, Mangalore
- Ilakiya Senthilnathan, BTFS – Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumkur
Best Exhibitor Awards conferred at the Bangalore INDIA BIO 2015 are as follows:
Interactive and Best Managed
•UK Trade and Investment
Bio Content and Information
Design and Innovation
•Council of Scientific & Industrial Research
•Omega Scientific Instruments
•Personal Air Quality Systems
One of the major highlights of Bangalore INDIA BIO has major thrust on Start-Upsencouraging innovation & entrepreneurship from across Bio-IT, Medical Devices, BioAgri and BioPharma sector. While 60 Start-Ups participated in Bio Accelerator Business Plan Competition. Start-Up 15 Exhibitors and their pitch presentations were a highlight of the event.
Preliminaries of state level ‘BioQuiz2015’was conducted acrossKarnatakawhere-in5000 students participated and the fourfinalistsbattled itout in the GrandFinaleof ‘BioQuiz2015’.
The awards were presented by Indian cricket legend Anil Kumble. The Chief Guest also inspired the students to always seek excellence in everything they undertake.
The results of the quiz are as below:
- Winning Team – Ms. Akshatha N & Ms. Mollika M – St Joseph College, Bangalore
- 1stRunners Up- Mr. Chethan N & Mr. Shrinidhi BR – National College of Pharmacy, Shimoga
2nd Runners Up-Ms. Megan D’souza &Ms. Namitha Nayak – St. Aloysius College, Mangalore